Bunbury Win Hard Fought Contest

Bunbury and Augusta Margaret River provided the small crowd at PC Payne Park, with a great match in the final game of round fourteen of the SWFL.

The visitors got the early jump, kicking two goals in the first ten minutes into a strong breeze, before Bunbury replied with two of their own.   Both teams then settled into the match with plenty of physical contests as Brett Peake kicked a goal to put the Bulldogs up by a goal.  Mitch Gerrans kicked a goal after the siren for the Hawks to see the home team lead by only four points at the first break.

With the weather closing in, the wind intensified in the second quarter, with the first goal not coming until the nine minute mark increasing Bunbury’s lead.  Matthew Jukes goaled from one metre out a minute later as the margin remained close. When Matt Martin kicked two goals within a minute, the lead had extended to seventeen points, but the Hawks were not to be denied kicking two late goals to narrow the margin to four points at half time.

The third quarter would be played in strong winds and rain, but amazingly 13 goals were kicked in a 32 minute quarter, with 12 goals kicked before the first behind of the quarter.   In a high intensity shoot out, seven goals were kicked in the first ten minutes, with the Hawks replying with an answering goal, every time Bunbury goaled at the Herbert Street end of the ground.  The visitors hit the front before Matt Martin kicked a further two goals in three minutes, and when Dylan Heasman goaled the margin had stretched to 22 points.  Martin kicked his fifth goal at the seventeen minute mark to extend the margin further, and when he kicked his sixth for the match and fourth for the quarter, the Hawks were facing a 33 point deficit.  An excellent snap by Mitch Payne narrowed the margin late in the quarter , but the task would be a stiff one for the Hawks in the final term.

Unlike the third quarter, where goals were scored at will, the final term saw just three goals, with the Hawks doing all of the attacking but managed two goals six behinds for the quarter.  The margin reduced to fourteen points, but when Brett Peake kicked Bunbury’s only goal of the final term at the 23 minute mark, the game was over, with the Bulldogs consolidating their position in the five.

Match Centre

Bunbury  3.4-22  6.6-42  15.7-97  16.8-104
Aug Marg River 3.0-18  6.2-38  10.4-64  12.10-82

Goals: Bunbury – Matt Martin 6, Brett Peake 3, Dylan Heasman 2, Jesse Gribble 2, Jackson Oliver, Liam Renton, Jordan Falco.  Augusta Margaret River – Matthew Jukes 3, Mitchell Lynn 2, Jack Hick 2, Brett Dobson 2, James Price, Mitch Gerrans, Mitchell Payne
Best: Bunbury – Tyson Wood, Matt Martin, Travis Justins, Travis Gray, Jesse Gribble, Matt Partridge.  Augusta Margaret River – Mitch Lynn, Seve Grantis, Jacob Payne, Mitch Gerrans, James Price, Beau Morgan.
Umpires: Scott Buchanan, Kevin Hutchins
Reports: Nil
Ground: PC Payne Park