Bunbury Win Thriller At Payne Park

Bunbury have survived a thriller at Payne Park on Sunday afternoon, in wet and gloomy conditions, defeating Harvey Bulls by five points in a hard fought slog, which had both sets of fans on their feet in the dying minutes, as both teams desperately tried to kick the winning goal.

In a game which had plenty riding on it, the Bulls could have gone level on points with Donnybrook on the ladder in the race for fifth, while Bunbury were also desperate to win to hang on to third spot, after Busselton’s win yesterday.

The Goal Umpires didn’t require two flags in the first quarter, as neither team kicked a goal, with Hamish Hall, Dylan Heasman, Jacob Wintle, Jayen Farrant and Ben Dempsey all kicking behinds in the first quarter for Bunbury, while the best opportunity of the lot went to Jackson Capurso, who ran into an open goal and missed for the Bulls.

The first goal of the match would come at the seven minute mark of the second quarter when Matthew Wilson marked in the goal square and duly converted.  Tyson Powell kick a goal from deep in the pocket to extend the margin and when Brad Holmes kicked a goal, also from in the pocket the margin had extended to 15 points.  Holmes mark and goaled as play extended into time on, further bolstering the margin to a game high 19 points, before a great roving goal by Cameron Hay, finally put a goal on the board for the Bulldogs.  Jacob Wintle marked a second before the half time siren, and kicked accurately to return the margin to eight points at half time.

Bunbury owned the third quarter with Cameron Hay kicking his second at the four minute mark of the third, and when Scott Doncon goaled on the run, Bunbury not only hit the front, they had kicked four goals in seven minutes either side of half time.  Jett Rigby snapped truly from a ball up to give the home side a ten point advantage at the final change.

The Bulls wouldn’t be denied in the final term, twice getting the margin under a goal, but weren’t able to land the goal to put them back in front.  Bunbury held on to win by five points.

Jackson Oliver was awarded the Indigenous Ball for best on ground, with Cameron Hay and Jared Line also playing well.  Lloyd Beever was amongst the Bulls best, with Captain Eli Smith also playing well.

Bunbury will now face Collie in Collie next Saturday afternoon, while Harvey Bulls will face South Bunbury in Harvey on Sunday, who will be fresh from the bye.

Match Centre

Bunbury   0.5.5  2.7.19  5.9.39  6.12.48
Harvey Bulls 0.1.1  4.3.27  4.5.29  6.7.43

Goals:  Bunbury – Cameron Hay 2, Jett Rigby 1, Ben Dempsey 1, Scott Doncon 1, Jacob Wintle 1.  Harvey Bulls – Matthew Wilson 3, Brad Holmes 2, Tyson Powell 1.
Best:  BunburyJackson Oliver, Cameron Hay, Jared Lines, Jethro Barraclough, Jaymin King, Beau Luzi.  Harvey Bulls – Lloyd Beever, Eli Smith, Rhys Anzellino, Jarrod Bowman, Braden Fimmano, Matthew Wilson
Ground:  PC Payne Park – Wardandi
Umpires:  Scott Jones, Matthew Stewart
Reports:  Nil
Crowd:  603

Jackson Oliver with the game ball, along with his team mates after a hard fought win.