This weekend is the Community Umpiring Round, and the SWFL is very lucky to have experience whistle-blower Vance Burton on the Panel, having officiated in excess of 200 games. With 36 finals games experience, Burton is a highly experience umpire, and after a year off with injury, Burton is back full time in 2021.
1. How long have you been umpiring for? Too long according to some on weekends, lol
2. Why did you take up umpiring? Didn’t want to play football when we moved from Karratha to Perth in 1985 and I haven’t looked back since.
3. What do you eat before a game? Nothing in particular.
4. AFL Team – Go the Bluebaggers, Carlton FC
5. What is one of the best things about umpiring? Being able to maintain a level of fitness and one of the biggest things on reflection is the amazing people I have met along the journey and the amount of friends I have made within this “family”.
6. Why should people take up umpiring? Most have already said it, but fitness, friendships, new skills, appreciation of what we endure and yes you get paid to top it off to umpire this great game.
The SWFL has the most umpires of any Community Football League in Country Western Australia, with a presentation before each League planned this weekend to recognise the contribution the SWFL Umpires make to our game.