Busselton Storm Home To Win At Brunswick


Busselton stormed home in the final quarter of their round ten match, in the South West Football League against Harvey Brunswick Leschenault on Saturday afternoon at Brunswick Oval, to win by 30 points.

With just a point separating the two teams at the final change, the Magpies kicked six final quarter goals, to match the six they had kicked in the first three quarters.

Busselton Magpies

The match started as an arm wrestle with seven minutes elapsing before Ben Musitano kicked the opening goal.  Jarrod Humphries kicked his first two minutes later after a good mark, and when Taine Williams kicked a goal out of mid air the alarm bells were starting to ring for the visitors, who were still yet to score.  Josh Lee would take a good mark and converted to put the Magpies on the board, but they would trail by 14 points at the first break.

Matt Wellburn was starting to look dangerous in the Magpies forward line, and when he kicked truly from deep in the pocket at the seven minute mark, the margin had been reduced to two points.  Two minutes later, from the opposite pocket Kester Decke goaled, putting the Busselton team in front for the first time in the match.  Wellburn would kick a great goal on the run from 50m, as Busselton opened the margin further before Taine Williams replied with a good goal from deep in the pocket to cut the margin back to three points at half time.

Ty Anderson received a free kick in the opening minute of the third quarter and duly converted, handing the lead back to the home team, as the match intensified.  The defence of both teams was on display for the next 20 minutes, with scoring drying up completely under a defensive blunder which saw Kester Decke able to stroll into goal putting Busselton back in front close to three quarter time.

The final quater promised to be a beauty, with just one point separating the two teams, but it would be all one way traffic, with Mitch Tenardi starting the goal fest, before Josh Lee kicked his second.  Ty Anderson kicked his second after a great solo effort from the middle, cutting the margin two 12 points, and had an opportunity from the next centre ball up to replicate but he missed.  Wellburn would kick a further two goals and Decke kicked the final goal of the match as Busselton won by 30 points.

Mitch Tenardi and Nathan Arbon were amongst the best for Busselton, while Jack Fletcher and Brendan Tingey played well for the Lions.

Busselton will host South Bunbury next Saturday in a Twilight fixture at Sir Stewart Bovell Park, while earlier on Saturday afternoon, Harvey Brunswick Leschenault will head to Gloucester Park to take on Augusta Margaret River.  Both matches promises to be high quality matches with all four teams currently in the top five.


Busselton  1.0-6  5.1-31   6.3-39   12.4-76
Harv Bruns Lesch  3.2-20  4.4-28  5.8-38  6.10-46

Goals: Busselton – Matthew Welburn 4, Kester Decke 3, Mitch Tenardi 2, Joshua Lee 2, Dylan Patterson.   Harvey Brunswick Leschenault –  Ty Anderson 2, Taine Williams 2, Ben Musitano, Jarrod Humphries.
Best: Busselton -Mitch Tenardi, Nathan Arbon, Mitchell Fraser, Ethan Bowman, Matthew Welburn, Kester Decke.  Harvey Brunswick Leschenault – Jack Fletcher, Brendan Tingey, Joel Latham, Ty Anderson, Xavier Milner, B. Musitano.
Ground:  Brunswick Oval
Umpires: Aaron Andrews, Damien O’Donoghue, Jack Crawshaw
Reports: Nil