Hawks Storm Home At Gloucester Park

Augusta Margaret River have stormed home to defeat Bunbury in the match of the round at Gloucester Park on Satuday afternoon.

Leading by 18 points at the eighteen minute mark of the third quarter, Bunbury then conceded seven goals in the final seven minutes of the third quarter and the final quarter, which would see the Hawks win by eleven points.

The opening term was extremely physical, with several minor scuffles, with Dylan Heasman opening the scoring in a tough opening quarter, with the Hawks taking a four point lead into the first break.

The second quarter saw both teams kick three goals each, with Brett Peake kicking his first, but it was quickly negated by a long goal from Harry Taylor.  Light rain started to fall as Taylor kicked truly again, and when Ricky Cary goaled at the nine minute mark the home team were fifteen points in front.  The second half of the quarter belonged to Bunbury with Peake dribbling through his second, which would be greeted by more niggle after the goal.  A further late goal to Bunbury had the home team just five points in front at the main break.

Both defences were on top in the opening minutes of the third, with both teams missing golden opportunities to score, before Heasman kicked a long running goal to level the scores.   Harry Creasey extended Bunbury’s advantage soon after, and when Cameron Hay snapped on the run, Bunbury were 12 points in front, which soon became three goals, as the Hawks defence was under attack time and time again.  Two late goals would be crucial in the long run, with had the home team within seven points, but Brett Peake just got his boot to ball before the three quarter siren, which saw the ball dribble through for a goal, giving the Bulldogs a 13 point advantage at the final break.

Ricky Cary kicked the opening goal of the final term and when Jack Hick converted from a strong mark, the margin was just one point.  Mitch Payne put the home team in front at the fourteen minute mark, sending the home fans into raptures, but they were silences a minute later when Brett Peake kicked his fourth, and the Bulldogs were back in front.  The Hawks would not be denied though, and with two late goals the home team would prevail in a hard fought victory.


Aug Marg River 2.5-17  5.8-38  7.11-53  12.11-83
Bunbury  2.1-13  5.3-33  10.6-66  11.6-72

Goals: Aug Marg River – Harry Taylor 3, Ricky Cary 2, Matt Jukes 2, Braden Smith 2, Mitch Gerrans, Jack Hick, Mitch Payne.  Bunbury – Brett Peake 4, Dylan Heasman 2, Cameron Hay 2, Harry Creasey, Tyson Wood, Jeffrey Meekin
Best:  Aug Marg River – Max Paterson, Matt Jukes, David Hill, Seve Grantis, Ben Gerrans, Mitch Lynn.  Bunbury – Travis Justins, Jesse Gribble, Dylan Partridge, Harry Creasey, Denholm King, Dylan Wicksteed
Umpires: Aaron Andrews, Ben Whitehill, Glenn Omodei
Ground: Gloucester Park
Reports:  Nil


200th game for Ben Gerrans getting chaired from the ground on Saturday – photo courtesy of AMR Facebook Page