Magpies Outlast Tigers

Busselton have dealt the reigning premiers a severe blow, as the ninth ranked team scored a gritty nine point victory at Sir Stewart Bovell Park on Saturday night.

The opening quarter was an even contest with both teams kicking three goals each.  Ultimately the second quarter decided the result, with the Magpies kicking four goals to two, with the margin fluctuating there after around twelve points.

The Tigers clawed the margin back to seven points midway through the third, but Aidan Fraser replied and the margin stood at fourteen points at the final break.

A tight final quarter saw goals at both ends, with tempers boiling over in front of the Busselton members midway through the term, as a result of a crude tackle.  Players were yellow carded as a result of a push and shove and the original free kick was then overturned, much to the behest of the Busselton faithful.

South Bunbury had two late chances to cut the margin to less than a goal, but both shots on goal missed, with the home team victorious by 9 points.   For Busselton, the win means they move clear of bottom placed Carey Park and a possible wodden spoon, while for the Tigers, their miserable run continues and almost certainly means they will miss the finals, and become just the fifth team in the history of the SWFL to miss the finals the year after winning the premiership.

Match Centre

Busselton  3.1.19  7.4.46  9.9.63  12.12.84
South Bunbury  3.1.19   5.4.34  7.7.49  11.9.75

Goals: Busselton – C Puff 3, A Fraser 3, B Sukroo 1, B Sandford 1, J Kemp 1, S Shepherd 1, B Howell 1, M Wellburn.  South Bunbury – G Piggott 3, J Bell 2, K Wallrodt 2, J Dix 1, K Hams 1, R Bennell 1, L Kohlmann 1.
Best: Busselton – C Puff, A Fraser, S Shepherd, B Sukroo, J Arbon, A Dehring.  South Bunbury – J Montgomerie, R Bennell, C Hutcheson, C Sawyer, K Wallrodt, J Deschamp
Umpires: Kevin Hutchins, Matt Chernabaeff
Reports: Nil
Ground: Sir Stewart Bovell Park, Busselton

Emotions boiled over in the closing stages on Saturday night.