South West Defeat Kimberley In Game Two

The South West Colts side have finished the opening day of the CBH Group Colts Country Championships undefeated, after defeating the Kimberley Spirit by 26 points at Lane Group Stadium in Mandurah on Thursday afternoon.

The Kimberley started brilliantly, kicking a goal in the opening minute of the match, with Jay Hill converting a set shot.  This sparked the South West into action, who would then kick the next six goals of the game, to blow the match wide open.  Deegan Cummings kicked a goal a minute after Hill, to level the scores, before John Manuel kicked accurately to give the South West the lead.

Angus McDonald became the third South West player to mark and goal from inside 50m before Rohan Grout  applied some great forward pressure, and was rewarded with a free kick at the top of the goal square.  Manuel converted another set shot, to give the defending champions a 24 point lead at half time.

The second half saw Seb Hiscox continue the trend when he marked and goaled, extending the margin to thirty points. Lazane Charlie ended the South West’s succession of goals, when he kicked the Kimberley’s second goal, but Rohan Grout kicked another as the South West finished the first day undefeated.

The South West sit in third place after the opening day, with Great Northern and Peel also undefeated.  The South West play great Northern tomorrow, while Peel also play Great Northern, with the outcomes of those matches going along way to deciding who will make the Grand Final at 4.00pm at Ross McLarty Oval in Pinjarra.

Match Centre
South West         5.2.32      7.5.47
Kimberley            1.2.8        3.3.21

GoalsSouth West – Rohan Grout 2, John Manuel 2, Deegan Cummings 1, Sebastian Hiscox 1, Angus McDonald 1.  Kimberley – Jay Hill 2, Lazane Charlie 1.
Best:  South West  – John Manuel, Nicholaas LeRoux, Rohan Grout
Ground:  Lain Group Stadium
Umpires: James Featherstone, Corey McBain, David Frazer

Photos courtesy of Sharyn Newlands