Tigers Storm Home To Win Qualifying Final

South Bunbury finished with six final quarter goals to advance to the Second Semi Final, when they defeated Bunbury in the Qualifying Final at Hands Oval on Sunday afternoon before 1505 fans.

Bunbury started strongly and had three goals on the scoreboard very quickly and led by 19 points before South Bunbury really got going.  The Tigers kicked two late goals to trail by five points.  The opening quarter was marred by a serious leg injury to Jett Rigby who was stretcher off to the side lines where he would be later transferred to hospital via Ambulance.

Bunbury played inspired football in the second quarter with goals to Cam Hay, Jayen Farrant and Hayden Yarran as the Bulldogs opened up a sizeable advantage.

The third quarter was a stale-mate with both teams kicked one goal each, with Bunbury still nineteen points in front at the final change.

The final quarter belonged to South Bunbury who would ultimately kick six goals for the term.  With eight minutes remaining in the final term, scores were level, the fourth game of the final series to have scores level in the final quarter.  South Bunbury Captain, Kevin Chitty would put the Tigers in front, and Kade Wallrodt would kick his third and the sealer minutes later.

South Bunbury will now travel to Gloucester Park to play Augusta Margaret River on Saturday in the Second Semi Final (2.10pm), while Bunbury will play the Harvey Bulls on Sunday (3.00pm) at Payne Park.


South Bunbury  2.2.14  5.5.35  6.11.47  12.13.85
Bunbury  3.1.19  9.4.58  10.6.66  11.6.72

Goals:  South Bunbury – Ethan Nordahl 3, Kade Wallrodt 3, Shaun Crane 2, Kevin Chitty 1, Jace Cormack 1, Jay Crossman 1, Connor Valli 1.  Bunbury – Jesse Gribble 2, Cameron Hay 2, Jacob Wintle 2, Hayden Yarran 2, Scott Doncon 1, Jayen Farrant 1, Beau Luzi 1.
Best:  South BunburyRocco Versace, Craig Hutcheson, Connor Valli, Riley Westra.  Bunbury – Jesse Gribble, Hamish Hall, Jaymin King, Matt Partridge, Patrick Farrant, Kane Bumann.
Ground:  Hands Oval
Umpires:  Cameron Valenti, Scott Jones, Greg Rolfe
Reports: Nil
Crowd: 1505

The Qualifying Final was a great game witnessed by the biggest crowd in four years, with 1505 in attendance. Photo courtesy of Wayne Hislop.